Monday, November 1, 2010

The Best Thing I Ever Ate...Part 1

Happy November Everyone!  I hope everyone had a great Halloween full of their favorite treats and pumpkin libations.  With that said, let the days get shorter, the temps get cooler, and the thoughts of TURKEY fill our minds and pallets.  November is a great month for foodies.  A few events worth noting before I get to the point of this blog.

*The Fabulous Food Show will be at the IX Center November 12-14.  This is a wonderful time to meet celebrity chefs (Guy Fieri, Michael Symon, and Giada De Laurentiis to name a few), taste treats from local businesses, and do a little wine tasting.  Tickets are $25 in advance (wine tasting is $5 extra).  For more information visit: http://www.fabulousfoodshow.com/

*Christmas time is here...well, sort of.  A Cleveland Christmas favorite is now on taps and will soon be on store shelves this week.  The elves at Great Lakes Brewing Company have the 2010 edition of Christmas Ale ready to bring holiday cheer to all.

*Cleveland Independent Restaurant Week November 1-14.  For two weeks, many local favorites are offering three courses prix fixe  for $30.  A complete list of participating restaurants and menus is available here:  http://www.clevelandindependents.com/wp/?page_id=280

*Thanksgiving: November 25.  Need I say more??

Ok, so one of my favorite shows on Food Network is "The Best Thing I Ever Ate".  Each episode, Food Network personalities and other famous foodies give their best of list related to a particular topic.  Every time I watch this show, I often wonder how I would answer "What is the best (fill in the blank) you have ever eaten?  Some are hands down easier then others.  Last week, while dining at Lola, I came across a dish that would answer that question.  If I am ever asked what is the best dessert, sweet surprise, etc. I have ever had, I would hands down say the 6 a.m. Special at Lola on East 4th Street.  As we all know, Chef Michael Symon loves bacon and finds unique ways to work it into any dish.  When I first heard of the bacon ice cream served at Lola, it immediately topped my list of things I MUST eat.  The ice cream is actually maple bacon ice cream.  This combination of sweet, salty, crunchy, and creamy is making my mouth water as I type this post.  It is served on top two pieces of brioche French toast and drizzled with maple syrup.  On the side, it is paired with caramelized apples.  I already love the "Breakfast for Dinner" concept, but the "Breakfast for Dessert" idea takes the cake.  I may even recommend ordering this first just to make sure you have room for it.  I was also informed this ice cream is the base for the apple bacon bourbon milkshake at B-Spot.  Iron Chef, you once again succeeded at infusing bacon into a very unlikely treat.

Until next time...follow your heart, fulfill your hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment