Thursday, January 31, 2013

Caprese Chicken

Have you ever had one of those nights where you just are not sure what to make for dinner?  You don't feel like dining out or making an impromptu trip to the store.  You know you have things in the fridge that you used within the past week, are still good, but only have a few good days left.  You also have a wonderful side dish you pinned or saw somewhere that you are dying to try.  This was Monday for me!

I have been wanting to make balsamic roasted potatoes for a few weeks since seeing them on Pinterest.  I also knew there were a few chicken breasts in the freezer, some white wine, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella that needed to be used very soon.  Unfortunately, our basil plant did not like the cold last week and has seen better days.  I decided to lightly saute the chicken the let it cook in the white wine.  I diced up the tomatoes and tossed them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, an Italian herb blend, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper.  This was served on top of the chicken with a slice of mozzarella.  Originally, if the basil looked better, I was going to do a caprese salad.  However, I had to improvise and this was the end result!
Here's how I made this:

  1. Season chicken with sea salt, black pepper, and dried Italian herb blend
  2. Saute in olive oil until both sides appear cooked.  Keep chicken in the pan.
  3. Add the white wine and one clove of minced garlic.  I used about 1/4th of a bottle because that is what was leftover in the fridge.  Bring sauce almost to a boil and then let simmer until it is time to eat!
  4. For the tomato salad on top: Dice tomatoes (I approximately 1 roma).  Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar to taste, sea salt, pepper, and herbs.  In the future, I plan to use fresh basil, but the dried Italian herbs I used on the chicken worked in a pinch.
  5. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment